Monday, October 22, 2012

Day 48 - Stephen F Austin State Park, TX

I guess that we were a little too eager to get started this morning. We set the alarm for 6 AM so that we would have plenty of time to get folded up and ready for the road. It wouldn't have been much of a problem except that the sun didn't rise until 7:48 AM. Note to self – check the almanac when you are in a new area before you set the alarm. We went ahead with the preparations anyway and were rolling at just about the time the sun came up.

Our first stop was the dump station. I was busy folding up the steps when I heard Brett say Sandy come and see. I went around the corner and was confronted with the beast you see below. I remember remarking earlier that it was not all that nice to be able to see a spider while moving at 65 mph. It isn't all that great to see one when both of you are standing still either! The thing was surely 3 inches across. But he was beautiful in his own way.

Side note – I am not able to get a broadband connection on my laptop so I am trying to post this from my iPhone. I am not sure how it is going to look. I don't think that the photos will be correctly inserted into the text so just look below.

Today we drove about 260 miles from just west of San Antonio to just west of Houston. Along the way we passed towns with names such as Welfare and Flatonia and Comfort. And a river with the curious name of Woman Hollering Creek.
Roadsigns that I liked:
-don't mess with Texas
– Are you married to Jesus or just dating him on weekends?

Texas has Farm to Market roads labelled FM and a number. Today the GPS told us to turn left at Federated States of Micronesia 1458. Tee hee.
Once past the hill country and just east of San Antonio the landscape definitely took a turn for the green. We have return to farming country green grass and trees.

There was a bit of a cloudburst around noon time and some of the dust got washed off the whale.

Many of the farms in this region grow cotton. We saw a lot of huge bales in the fields.

Our destination for today was Stephen F Austin State Park in Sealy Texas. The town of Sealy is famous because of Sealy mattresses. None were manufactured here but the man who invented the process and holds the patents was from Sealy. This is a rather large and very nice State Park which features among other things an 18 hole golf course. It is not a very busy campground today. There are 40 campsites but I only see seven campers. Each campsite is full hook up and has a huge mowed lawn area with picnic table and fire ring. If this was a KOA there would be five motorhomes in this spot!

It is getting dark and Brett is out walking somewhere. I suppose that I should go see if I can round him up. We plan to stay here for two nights. That should give us some time to see what ever sights the area has to offer.

Update - I finally had to call Brett to locate him. He said he was visiting with some nice people and was fine. I'm sure there will be tales to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment